March Base Camp and MOA is Full!
Join the troop for a camp out at Base Camp in Fort Snelling, and a day at MOA! This is poised to be a great event that the Lightning Patrol has put together. There are fun and educational moments planned for all who attend. There's lots of info here, so please read it all.
What: Base Camp and MOA
When: Saturday March 10 and Sunday March 11
Where: Mall of America, and Base Camp at Fort Snelling
- If using Scout Account, register for the event, and choose "Scout Account" under the options area.(See Picture below)
Important: Please complete Base Camp waiver form and bring to Base Camp!
Merit Badge: Oceanography(Prerequisite needed. See below)
Deadline: February 22 is the last day for sign up! Unfortunately no exceptions can be made after this date.
Food: Scouts are responsible for their own lunch at Saturday. Either bring a bag lunch, or money to buy lunch at MOA. Dinner/Breakfast is provided by the troop Sat night/Sun morning.
Cost: Three Options
1. Oceanography - $25
2. Nickelodeon Universe Unlimited Ride Band - $17
3. Base Camp - $35
Reminder: Class A uniforms must be worn all day at MOA. Class B can be worn at Base Camp.
* Meet at Bruegger's Bagels in Wayzata at 8:45AM. Leave by 9:00AM.
- Arrive at MOA at approximately 9:45 to check in at Sea Life Entrance at Mall Level 1 Box Office and be ready to go at 10:00.
*(If there's enough people, two groups will be needed not exceeding 15 per group including adults)
Group 1: 10:00 - 2:00 Oceanography merit badge program
- 2:00 - 3:00 Self guided walk through Aquarium
- 3:00 - 7:15 Nickelodeon Universe Unlimited Pass
Group 2: 10:00 - 2:15 Nickelodeon Universe Unlimited Pass
- 2:15 - Arrive at Sea Life Entrance at Mall Level 1 Box Office
- 2:30 - 6:30 Oceanography merit badge program
- 6:30 - 7:30 Self guided walk through Aquarium
7:30 - All will leave MOA to Base Camp
8:00 - Base Camp lock in is from 8:00PM - 8:00AM
* 8:00 - 11:30PM: Games and Activities including Rockwall climbing, Gaga Ball, Archery, Basketball, Tag, Paper Airplanes, and High Ropes(14 Years old and up).
* 11:30PM: Pizza is served
* 12:00 Midnight: Movie time(we can bring our own, however it must be G-rated(No Exceptions)).
* 2:00AM: Lights out!
* Breakfast at Base camp
* Pack up and leave to return to Bruegger's Bagels in Wayzata around 8:30ish
For More Information
Prerequisite for Merit Badge: To complete the badge the scouts will need to write a report about an oceanographic research ship, institute or book about oceanography, or they can give a speech on why oceanography is important or a speech about career opportunities in oceanography (outline in the Oceanography Merit Badge handbook). We recommend they create an outline prior to their visit to help prepare for the report or speech.
Mall of America Sea Life Aquarium
Be sure to check out the great information on the camping page to help determine what to pack and other camping tips!