Our 100th Anniversary is a perfect opportunity to earn the Music Merit Badge. The requirements are relatively easy since most of our scouts are in band or play a musical instrument. Sign up HERE in order to participate.
VERY IMPORTANT - FIRST WE WILL LEARN THE SONGS WHICH WE WILL SING AT THE ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION. AFTER THAT WE WILL DO ALL OF THE OTHER REQUIREMENTS.
IMPORTANT IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THE CELEBRATION AND STILL WISH TO TAKE THE MERIT BADGE, I WILL ARRANGE FOR YOU TO SING WITH SOME OTHERS AT ANOTHER FUNCTION. DON’T LET NOT BEING ABLE TO ATTEND THE ANNIVERSARY PARTY DETER YOU FROM GETTING THIS MERIT BADGE AT THIS TIME.
Counselor Information: Daniel J. Sheridan email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselor will provide blue cards for merit badge. Helpers: To be determined
In Group sessions we will cover the following:
- Requirement 3 from Music Merit Badge Handbook: We will learn 3 songs as a group to sing on November 15 at our 100 year anniversary. Also, as a group you will all lead everyone in Scout fourth song, which you all know already at the end of the evening.
- Requirement 2 from Music Merit Badge Handbook: Name 5 types of instruments from a handout I will provide. Each scout must review with counselor or helper and get signed off.
- Requirement 3d from Music Merit Badge Handbook: Each scout will research one American composer or someone very influential in American music. Please come prepared with a report to review with the group (very informal; no more than a page or two of information, is required).
Individual requirements include:
- Play or sing one simple song for either the entire class or just the counselor (recorders, trumpet, piano, violin, etc.) depending on which option you are most comfortable.
- Attend a live performance/concert (can include a school concert or event).Provide description, date and time of the event signed by your parents and turn this in to me. (or email). I will allow any performance done between spring of last year and fall of this year with parental verification.
I will allow for Skype or FaceTime sessions for someone to play their instrument if they cannot make one of the meetings
The three songs we will sing at the celebration are:
“The Patrol Song of the Boy Scouts,” by Rudyard Kipling, circa 1915 (or there about) This will be sung as a Repeat after me song. I will teach you the melody or cadence.
“Hello Muddah”, circa 1965 (or there about). Have fun with this one.
“America the Beautiful, circa (1915) Most of you have heard this; most know it.
The closing song for the evening will be “Scout Vespers” the song we sing at the end of each Troop meeting. We will lead everyone in this.
- Song Lyrics can be found in a PDF on the bottom of this page.
BETWEEN NOW AND THE FIRST REHERSAL SESSION FIND “HELLO MUDDHA” ON YOU TUBE OR ITUNES AND LISTEN TO IT SEVERAL TIMES. SAME WITH, AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL, FIND IT, AND LISTEN TO IT.
First rehearsal session will be on Tuesday November 3 at 6:30 - 7:30 at Wayzata Community Church we will learn and practice the three songs. PLEASE BE ON TIME!
Second rehearsal will be Friday November 6, from 6:30 - 7:30 also at WCC.
Depending on how we are doing we may have another rehearsal sometime over the weekend of November 7 - 8.
I have to have my knee replaced on November 9. If I can get another adult to lead another rehearsal or two before the 100 Year anniversary, I will let you know.
Please try to make all of the rehearsals, however, if you cannot make one of the rehearsals, let me know and don’t worry. As long as you learn the song and are able to sing it that night with us, you will be fine. But you must sing (no faking it or mouthing it).
The rest of the schedule for the Music Merit Badge will be posted a couple of weeks after the 100 Year Celebration to give me time to recuperate.
I hope you can join us,